Roma put Bruno Peres up for sale as defence is overhauled again

Corriere della Sera (Gianluca Piacentini) The probable sale of Kostas Manolas to Zenit St Petersburg – there is still some distance between Roma’s demands (€40 million) and the Russian club’s offer (€30 million plus bonuses), but the two parties will meet again in the coming days – means that the Giallorossi defence will have to be overhauled again in preparation for next year.

Roma - Lazio

Di Francesco has already lost last year’s first choice keeper, Szczesny, whose place will be taken by the Brazilian Alisson. Manolas’ place, meanwhile, will be taken by Toni Rudiger, who was primarily used as a right back by Spalletti last season. The new right back is likely to be Rick Karsdorp, who the Giallorossi already have an agreement with: they are yet to come to an agreement with Feyenoord; the two clubs are close though, and it should be announced after 1st July (for financial purposes) and before the players return to training.

Another new face will be that of the Mexican Hector Moreno, signed for €6 million from PSV; he will take the place of Vermaelen, who returned to Barcelona without making any sort of impression. While the club wait for Emerson Palmieri, who sustained a cruciate ligament injury in the final game of the season on 28 May, and Florenzi, who should be used by Di Francesco either in midfield or as a winger, to recover from their respective injuries, the futures of Bruno Peres and Mario Rui need to be decided.

The former will have to be signed permanently for €12.5 million from Torino, while they will have to pay Empoli €6 million for the latter. Neither, however, are guaranteed to wear the Giallorossi shirt next year. The Brazilian is on the transfer market, and Roma are willing to listen to any offers they receive. The Portuguese would in theory be a starter, at least until Emerson returns, but it is clear from his agent’s comments that he is pushing for a move. Even yesterday, his agent – who up until the end of the season said that the full back would stay if Spalletti went (as indeed he did) – didn’t miss an opportunity to stress Napoli’s interest. He will meet the club on Monday to clear up the matter.

Then there is also the issue of the second choice goalkeeper that needs to be resolved: Monchi has said before that Skorupski’s presence gives Roma the necessary guarantees, but the Polish number 1 has already made it clear that he wants to play every week, a guarantee which Roma cannot provide. It’s possible, therefore, that he will be sold, which would allow the club to bring in around €7 million. Meanwhile Doumbia’s loan move to Sporting Lisbon has fallen through; the Ivorian prefers Fenerbahce.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s